I'm Not Going...What Can You Do When You Can't Attend ASCA15?



 Yes, it is true.  I made the decision not to go to ASCA15 this year and it was difficult.  In this post, I will share why I made the decision and how I can still stay connected to the conference.


 ASCA14 in Orlando was awesome!  I got to meet up with my tweeps (I will miss seeing them this year), I presented at a preconference workshop, I heard the First Lady speak, I got to be searched by the Secret Service, and most of all, I learned a lot of great information to take back to my school. 

Me at the 2014 Tweet Up!

I made it rain in my presentation...literally.  The roof leaked.
Initially, I had planned to go to ASCA15, but I have the opportunity to attend the Innovative Counseling Strategies National Conference in my hometown of Atlanta.  Since both conferences are during the same time, I had to make a quick decision about which one I wanted to attend.  This year, my hometown won out and I will be staying in the ATL!

However, I realize that I don't have to miss the great information that will be shared at ASCA15!  There are several opportunities to listen to and be part of the action in Phoenix and I want to share them with you in case you cannot attend the conference as well.

Phoenix, AZ
Since I can't make the conference...

1.  I can view information about the sessions online or through the ASCA app!
2.  I can register as a virtual attendee.  Although the virtual sessions are $199, you get a lot of "bang" for your buck! Here are the scheduled programs:

Sunday, June 28th
  • 9-12 p.m.-College Admissions: Case Studies and Recommendation Letters
 High School
  • 1-4 p.m.-College- and Career-Readiness Leadership Strategies
  • 5 - 6:30 p.m.-Key Note Address by  Fredi Lajvardi
Monday, June 29th
  •  9–10:15 a.m.-Reach Higher With College and Career Readiness Resources
  •  10:30 a.m.–12 p.m.-Career Exploration With Cartoons
  •  12:30–1 p.m.-A Conversation With Carolyn Stone
  •  1:30–2:45 p.m.-School Counselor Outreach vs. Automated Messaging to Mitigate Summer Melt 
  • 3:45–5 p.m.-Equip First-Generation College Students With College Readiness Skills
 Tuesday, June 30
  • 9-10:30 a.m.-General Session, Keynote Address: Tim Shriver
  • 10:45 a.m.–12 p.m.-Academic Habits and College and Career Readiness
  • 12:30–1 p.m.-A College- and Career-Readiness Conversation With Cory Notestine and Liz Parker 
  • 1:30–2:45 p.m.-School Counselors: The Key to College and Career Readiness
  • 3:45–5 p.m.-Mindsets & Behaviors Competency Writing 101
Wednesday, July 1
  • 9–10:15 a.m.-Selecting a College for Its Financial Fit
  •  10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. General Session, Keynote Speaker: Tim Federle
3.   I will definitely follow the conference from Twitter posts using #notatASCA15.  See the storyboard from last year's online conference compliments of Connie Ward. I got a lot of great information from the post and I was at the conference!!  Also, check out the blogs from The Spirited School Counselor, Elizabeth Cranford, School Counselor Space, Franciene Sabens, Middle School Counselor Notes, Rick Scheibner, Life on the Fly Counselor, Angela Poovey & Stoify by Susan Spellman Cann. 

Day 1 Notes, Downloads & Resources
Day 2 ASCA Notes, Downloads & Websites 
Day 3 Notes, Downloads, Websites, and Resources

School Counselor As Leader

Tweets from Program Marketing

Top 10 Moments from ASCA14 

Much To Celebrate Storify 

NotatASCA14 Resources 

Other ASCA14 Memories!!

#ASCA14

2014 ASCA Conference Workshops - Watch a workshop from last year from ASCA.

First Lady's Address @ ASCA14

Post ASCA Depression

Now is the time to start thinking about attending an ASCA conference in case you have never been to one.  The 2016 ASCA conference will be in New Orleans (this will be my first trip to NOLA!).

July 9–12, 2016
"ASCA Annual Conference: The Recipe for Success"
New Orleans, La.








The Counseling Geek, Jeff Ream, and the Middle School Counselor, Carol Miller. are sponsoring ASCA16 Donation Drive for school counselors.  Consider sponsoring a school counselor or consider applying for the scholarship!!


Can't make it in 2016...no worries.  Here are the locations of future ASCA Conferences:

July 8–11, 2017
Denver, Colo.






July 14–17, 2018
Los Angeles, Calif.









June 29–July 2, 2019
Boston, Mass.











June 27–30, 2020
Seattle, Wash.

Comments