Bulletin Boards, Handouts, and Posters for the Beginning of the Year!




Sadly summer is ending and the start of the new school year is quickly approaching!!   If you are like me, you have been frantically searching Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram over the summer for new and creative ideas to help you get ready for beginning of the year.  Each year, I am always looking for fresh bulletin board ideas, informative handouts, and visually appealing posters for my office.  Now that school is around the corner, it may be difficult for you to find time to eat a proper meal much less prepare a welcoming office. What I love about our profession is that school counselors are always willing to share great resources and now I can share with you!!

Bulletin Board Ideas

If you are like most school counselors, putting up a bulletin is not high on your priority list at the beginning of the year.  However, we know that having a blank wall next to your office is not welcoming or inviting to students and parents.  So, I went to my hoard of saved pictures and pulled out some bulletin board ideas that could possibly get you through the first couple of months of school.  

Who doesn't like free????  I love free stuff and when I found the link to these bulletin board ideas it was a happy day.  Okay a slight disclaimer...many of these boards are targeted for elementary and middle school, but there are a lot that can be modified for high school.  Here is one that I found that I thought was pretty powerful.  



The Power of Yet



Whole Hearted School Counseling Instagram Page

Recently I came across this Instagram page and I have been really impressed by the graphics produced on this page (this will be one of my new follows for sure).  The great thing about these graphics is that they can be used for bulletin board ideas and posters for your office.  
What To Do When Making a Mistake
 
Control


One Circle Foundation

I really like these graphics as an idea for a bulletin board especially around finals and mental health awareness month.


NAMI


Shared by Colleagues

Okay, if you are looking for a beginning of the school bulletin board I got you covered.  These are some ideas that were shared online by some colleagues.  I thought they were awesome and wanted to share.  





Handouts

I am a handout fanatic!  I give out handouts all the time whether at parent nights, presentations, class room presentations, talking to parents...you name it.  So when I decided to share my hoard of saved handouts, it was no easy task.  However, I wanted to share some that I just found shared by colleagues on social media that I really like and are practical to use in your practice. 

Shared by Lauren Yates

LOVE THIS!

This is a great rubric to give to students who want to change their schedules. 


The state of Georgia puts out some really great college checklists for each grade.  You can download lots of free resources from this site (even if you do not live in Georgia!).



Like Georgia, Florida has some really great college checklists for students.  Again, you can download lots of free resources from this site (even if you do not live in Florida!).


Amazing handout put together by Attendance Works breaking down how much learning is lost due to lack of attendance.  This is a real eye opener for parents and students. 

Although this website has resources for younger students, there are some very practical applications for all ages.  This is one of the resources that could be beneficial for students who need additional coping skills.  



Do you ever need information to give to teachers? Behavior Flip has a lot of great handouts for educators that give out in meetings or informational sessions. 



Do you ever need handouts to give to out to parents? I thought this was a really great handout to give parents at the beginning of the year to help them communicate with their student.


Great handout for teachers when struggling with "out of control" students and how they may view them through a different lens. 



I really like these bookmarks!  Great mental health and trauma bookmarks for staff to learn about trauma and how it impacts students.



Posters

If you are looking for free posters to decorate your office or put up around the school, I think I have found some free resources for posters that may be of interest to you.  


Upstander Poster
Testing Poster

Kindness Poster


If you have students who have trouble expressing their emotions, this may be a great poster to use as a conversation starter.   




 I would definitely put this in my office!  A great visual showing how school counselors of 20 years ago compare to the school counselor of today. 




Great poster for students who may have been sent to your office for discipline issues or emotional outbreaks and you want to help them find their triggers.


Well this is all for this post.  As always, I will be willing to share resources during the year.  Hopefully, these resources will be helpful to you as you start your new year!

 


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! THere is a flier that was shown in August of 2019 called "Can I change my schedule: 101" by Lauren Yates. Do you have a digital copy of this or a way to print it if this is allowed? Would love to share with my high school. Not sure if it was shared to use or just to see. THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me check. Can you email me your address? Here is my email: Cynthia_morton@yahoo.com. If I don't have it, I have other forms. Thanks!!


    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for shedding light on the concept of a digital bulletin board! Your blog provided a clear understanding of its versatile applications in modern communication. The idea of a digitalized bulletin board is intriguing, promising a more dynamic and engaging way to convey information. I'm eager to explore how this innovative approach could enhance my organization's internal communication and information sharing. Your article has sparked my interest in utilizing this technology to streamline and modernize our messaging systems. Great insights!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment