I can't believe it is almost January! A new year to help our students and promote awareness for serious issues like human trafficking, drug awareness, and promoting kindness. In January, school counselors have an excellent opportunity to bring awareness to these societal problems and make a big difference in their school community!
National Mentoring Month
Stress the importance of creating real relationships in everyday life by promoting mentoring relationships.
What is Peer Mentoring?
National Mentoring Partnership
Thank your mentor day
National Day of Service
The MLK Day of Service is an excellent opportunity to empower students to help find solutions to local problems, break down barriers, and help students learn about the importance of community service.
Find a Service Project
Youth Service America
Semester of Service Toolkit
Ideas for Students
Some Ideas Include:
- Support a Food Bank
- Organize a School Supply Drive
- Organize a FAFSA event for families.
- Read with kids.
- Start a service club. Check out this service club handbook!
- Stop bullying and promote tolerance.
- Give awards.
National Human Trafficking Prevention Month
Prevention Day - January 11
According to National Homeland Security, human trafficking the the illegal trade of people for exploitation or commercial gain.
Educate your staff and students about the signs and dangers of human trafficking.
Resources and educational materials.
Guide for Parents
Indicators of Trafficking
No Name Calling Week
According to GLSEN, the purpose of No Name Calling Week is to celebrate kindness and respect for others.
School Counselor Activities:
- Continue anti-bullying messages and activities. Consider running a friendship group for students who are the targets of bullying behavior.
- Conduct classroom presentations about bullying.
- Lead students in team building exercises.
- Educate students about empathy using social emotional learning lessons.
- Empower students to stand against bullying behavior and what to do if they see it happening.
- Conduct NNCW lesson plans.
- Help teachers to establish a No Name Calling policy in their classroom.
- Encourage students to sign the No Name Calling Pledge.
- Have students to take the No Name Calling survey.
Drug Fact Awareness Week
The purpose of Drug Fact Awareness Week is to shatter the myths about drug use among teens.
Get Ideas and Activities
Plan Your Event
Posters and Brochures
National Drug IQ Quiz
Interactives and Videos