Yes, it is true. I made the decision not to go to ASCA15 this year and it was difficult. In this post, I will share why I made the decision and how I can still stay connected to the conference.
ASCA14 in Orlando was awesome! I got to meet up with my tweeps (I will miss seeing them this year), I presented at a preconference workshop, I heard the First Lady speak, I got to be searched by the Secret Service, and most of all, I learned a lot of great information to take back to my school.
|Me at the 2014 Tweet Up!|
|I made it rain in my presentation...literally. The roof leaked.|
However, I realize that I don't have to miss the great information that will be shared at ASCA15! There are several opportunities to listen to and be part of the action in Phoenix and I want to share them with you in case you cannot attend the conference as well.
1. I can view information about the sessions online or through the ASCA app!
2. I can register as a virtual attendee. Although the virtual sessions are $199, you get a lot of "bang" for your buck! Here are the scheduled programs:
Sunday, June 28th
- 9-12 p.m.-College Admissions: Case Studies and Recommendation Letters High School
- 1-4 p.m.-College- and Career-Readiness Leadership Strategies
- 5 - 6:30 p.m.-Key Note Address by Fredi Lajvardi
- 9–10:15 a.m.-Reach Higher With College and Career Readiness Resources
- 10:30 a.m.–12 p.m.-Career Exploration With Cartoons
- 12:30–1 p.m.-A Conversation With Carolyn Stone
- 1:30–2:45 p.m.-School Counselor Outreach vs. Automated Messaging to Mitigate Summer Melt
- 3:45–5 p.m.-Equip First-Generation College Students With College Readiness Skills
- 9-10:30 a.m.-General Session, Keynote Address: Tim Shriver
- 10:45 a.m.–12 p.m.-Academic Habits and College and Career Readiness
- 12:30–1 p.m.-A College- and Career-Readiness Conversation With Cory Notestine and Liz Parker
- 1:30–2:45 p.m.-School Counselors: The Key to College and Career Readiness
- 3:45–5 p.m.-Mindsets & Behaviors Competency Writing 101
- 9–10:15 a.m.-Selecting a College for Its Financial Fit
- 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. General Session, Keynote Speaker: Tim Federle
Day 1 Notes, Downloads & Resources
Day 2 ASCA Notes, Downloads & Websites
Day 3 Notes, Downloads, Websites, and Resources
School Counselor As Leader
Tweets from Program Marketing
Top 10 Moments from ASCA14
Much To Celebrate Storify
Other ASCA14 Memories!!
2014 ASCA Conference Workshops - Watch a workshop from last year from ASCA.
First Lady's Address @ ASCA14
Post ASCA Depression
Now is the time to start thinking about attending an ASCA conference in case you have never been to one. The 2016 ASCA conference will be in New Orleans (this will be my first trip to NOLA!).
July 9–12, 2016
"ASCA Annual Conference: The Recipe for Success"
New Orleans, La.
The Counseling Geek, Jeff Ream, and the Middle School Counselor, Carol Miller. are sponsoring ASCA16 Donation Drive for school counselors. Consider sponsoring a school counselor or consider applying for the scholarship!!
Can't make it in 2016...no worries. Here are the locations of future ASCA Conferences:
July 8–11, 2017
July 14–17, 2018
Los Angeles, Calif.
June 29–July 2, 2019
June 27–30, 2020