Some best practices in suicide prevention in schools include:
- Increasing protective factors for children and youth
- Incorporating a peer helping group to:
- Spread messages around school that change acceptable norms about violence, bullying, and suicide.
- Promote student pledges to stop violence, bullying, and suicide.
- Interrupting harassment among students who are at-risk for bullying and suicide.
- Educating new students about norms in the school regarding suicide prevention and violence.
- Connecting and making relationships with disconnected students who at-risk.
- Breaking silence regarding suicide awareness.
- Educating adults about suicide prevention.
- Promoting resiliency in students who suffer from trauma.
- Education students and staff members that bullied students are suicidal.
- No Tolerance Programs - punitive programs regarding bullying.
- Adult training only - adults will handle the problems without students.
- Peer training only - peers are expected to educate the students without adults.
- Multi-focused programs training both staff and students.
- Peer leaders changing norms - tolerance and relational connectedness.
- Use a continuum of responses.
- Understand that the cyber world and real world are not separate for students.
- Adults and students work together to create policies and discipline strategies.
American Association of Suicidology-contains a timeline, press release, proclamation, and ideas for promoting suicide awareness.
Safe Messaging for Suicide Prevention
Youth Suicide Guide for Schools
Youth Suicide Prevention Guide-New York
Save.org-products, community activities, resources, and newsletter.
Suicide Prevention Resource Center-webinars, warning signs, statistics, and resources.
Suicide Prevention Lifeline- a free 24/7 lifeline for people who are in crisis.
International Association for Suicide Prevention-suicidal behavior in adolescents, contagion, postvention, and helplines.
National Institute of Mental Health-publications, resources, statistics, and prevention ideas.
Centers for Disease Control-fact sheets, featured resources, and featured programs.
Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide-information about memorials, information for educators, suicide curriculum, and warning signs.
Signs of Suicide Brochures
School Based Prevention Screenings
Square-assessments and resources from Australia.
Websites for State-Specific Suicide Data
Sources of Strength Startup Kit
Sources of Strength Webinars
Suicide Prevention Kit-state resources and websites.
Preventing Suicide Kit High Schools
LGBTQ Youth Workshop
After a Suicide Kit
Youth Suicide Prevention Webinar
Adolescent Suicide Prevention Manual for Native Americans